A Personal Post
On the eve of 2019, I have been given the gift of some time away from work- and so far I’ve used it to reflect, start my GOALS list, and get creative. I’m working on what I call “The Book”- a Canson XL serial bound mixed media paper art book with 72 9×12 pages to fill with everything & anything in 2020. It’s my way of staying inspired, keeping track of great memories, saving notable items- letters, cards, magazine clippings, flowers, photos.
I’ve tried to start things like this before- but they rarely take off.. but this year, this year, I’m going to make it happen.. mainly because I feel empowered to do so, but also because I have a direction I’m aiming to take it in, and I want to have something physical to remember this transformative year by.
Whatever your method, I assume that most of us- if we really thought about it can not only think of the resolutions, changes, or goals we want to make & achieve in a new year– but also the advice you’d give yourself- a sort of list of things to remember not to do, or to do differently in a new year. On the back of the first page- that is exactly what I wrote to myself, a sort of love letter/well wishing filled with solid advice to myself that I now feel compelled to share with others. Here is the last half of that letter.
As you step into 2020, Remember These Things..
- TRUST yourself, your instincts, your gut, your mind!
- You are NOT defined by your job, your weight, your looks, the $$ in your bank account, the car you drive, or any physical attribute of this life- Don’t allow yourself to be.
- Depression will come & go BUT your life will always be worth living- you do have a purpose on this planet- GOD created you for great things & He has you here to fulfill them..
- No matter how unloved you may feel- you are so Loved & by so many ppl- many you can’t think of- But your friends & the relationships you’ve built w/ them are valuable & they LOVE you- if you ever doubt that, just read the kind notes, the tests, & the cards & dwell on those pivotal moments!
- If there was ever a person who knew how to enjoy life– it’s the unrepressed, younger version of you. Look- 17 y.o. you wasn’t the most wise- BUT she knew a heck of a lot more a/b the importance of life, the experiences you needed, and how much she still had time for & needed/wanted to do! In her way, she had some wisdom- let her back in this year!
- Buying stuff inexpensive & expensive alike is nothing but a crutch. It doesn’t improve your life or make you happier. AND within 2 minutes you always feel bored of it. Do yourself a favor & quit buying to fill VOIDS.. there’s like way better stuff to fill it all up with.
- See more BROADWAY shows, try shadowing makeup artists or costume designer if possible. Do Research! Learn skills- hone in on that sewing machine & those patterns & book you have. For heaven’s sake- start drawing again- and by all means necessary LIVE/EXPLORE your creative side this year, she’s dying to take the reigns!
- Use your hands! Write/journal/send letters/make! It’s always been a stress relief for you, so do it already & you’ll instantly feel better!
- Ditch that biting your nails habit once & for all, seriously! You always want to but you don’t- just do it so you can quit being worried a/b your hands looking ugly.
- Moisturize like your life depends on it!! Then lather yourself in sunscreen, k?!
- Finally, go on & get to it! See what happens next!
- Move your body every damn day!
- Don’t compare yourself to others!